The First Senior Ranking Event on the new RIBSA Senior Snooker Tour was played in Ivy Rooms Snooker Club in Carlow over the weekend. Rodney Goggins from the 147 Club in Wexford making his comeback to the RIBSA Tour after playing on the WSA professional tour in England took the title.
In the final Rodney beat Martin McCrudden from Celbridge SC in a superb quality final 5 frames to 3 to win the RIBSA CLASSIC CUP sponsored by the Barracks Carlow. The win moves Rodney to number 1 spot on the rankings and it promises to be a great fight for the number 1 RIBSA spot this season. Rodney dedicated his victory to his coach Larry Codd who passed away this week.
In the Semi Finals Rodney beat Mario Fernandez from St Johns Limerick 4 frames to 3 in a high quality match and Martin beat Robert Murphy from Monkstown SC 4 frames to 0 in the other semi final. There were a number of major shocks with Paul Arnold beating TJ Dowling, Robert Donohue beating George Tierney and Terry Parker beating Joe Corrigan.
Our RIBSA players travelling to the IBSF World Championships next month played well in the event with Joe Delaney and Greg Casey reaching the Last 16 and Leonard Shanahan reaching the Q-Final and Mario Fernandez reaching the Semi Finals.
The Highest break prize went to Martin McCrudden with a fantastic 122 break in his Q-Final match against John O Sullivan other high breaks in the event were 102 by Vincent Muldoon, 98 by Rodney Goggins, 97 by Mario Fernandez.
RIBSA would like to thank Jim & Marion Leacy from The Ivy Snooker Club for the excellent facilities and all their help over the weekend.
Finally I would like to thank all the players for a great snooker display and I look forward to seeing them again in Event 2 in Carlow on the 7th & 8th of November.
- Mario Fernandez 3 2 John Sutton
- Clinton Franey 3 0 Greg Casey
- Rodney Goggins 3 1 Terry Parker
- Phil Arnold 3 0 Paul Arnold
- Martin McCrudden 3-1 John O Sullivan
- Nigel Power 0-3 John Torpey
- Leonard Shanahan 3-1 Joe Delaney
- Robert Redmond 0-3 Robert Murphy
- Mario Fernandez 4-0 Clinton Franey
- Rodney Goggins 4-0 Phil Arnold
- Martin McCrudden 4-3 John Torpey
- Leonard Shanahan 1-4 Robert Murphy
- Rodney Goggins 4 – 3 Mario Fernandez
- Robert Murphy 0 – 4 Martin McCrudden
- Rodney Goggins 5-3 Martin McCrudden