Mario Fernandez won the second Senior Ranking Event on the new RIBSA Senior Snooker Tour in the Ivy Rooms Snooker Club in Carlow over the weekend. Mario dedicated his victory to his father Xavier who passed away last month. Ireland hopes he can continue his winning streak when he plays in the IBSF World Championships in India next week.
This event had a number of great battles but it was Mario Fernandez from St Johns Limerick who won the RIBSA IRISH OPEN title beating Vincent Muldoon from Waterford SC in a superb final 5 frames to 4. In the Semi Finals Mario beat Robert Redmond from ALSAA Dublin 4 frames to 0 in a high quality match with breaks of 57, 81 and 114.
In the other semi Vincent Muldoon beat current No. 1 Rodney Goggins from 147 Snooker Club Wexford 4 frames to 3 in another great match, with Rodney making the highest break in the event with a 137 break in frame six of the match.
The High Break prize went to Rodney with a fantastic 137 break but there were other high breaks in the event – 135 Vincent Muldoon, 114 Mario Fernandez, 98 Joe Corrigan, 94 TJ Dowling, 90 Greg Casey and one of the best breaks in the event went to 13 year old Aaron Tobin with an 80 break.
RIBSA would like to thank Jim & Marion Leacy from The Ivy Snooker Club for the excellent facilities and all their help over the weekend. We would also like to wish Mario Fernandez, Greg Casey, Leonard Shanahan, Brendan Thomas and Joe Delaney the best of luck at the IBSF World Championships in India next week.
Finally, I would like to thank all the players for a great snooker display and I look forward to seeing them again in Event 3 in Carlow on the 12th & 13th of December.
- Rodney Goggins 3-2 Colim Gilcreest
- Paddy English 0-3 Joe Delaney
- Vincent Muldoon 3-1 John Torpey
- Joe Corrigan 1-3 Phil Arnold
- Robert Murphy 3-0 Paul Arnold
- Robert Redmond 3-1 David Cassidy
- Richie Flynn 1-3 John O’Sullivan
- Vincent Meaney 1-3 Mario Fernandez
- Rodney Goggins 4-3 Joe Delaney
- Vincent Muldoon 4-2 Phil Arnold
- Robert Murphy 3-4 Robert Redmond
- John O’Sullivan 3-4 Mario Fernandez
- Rodney Goggins 3-4 Vincent Muldoon
- Robert Redmond 0-4 Mario Fernandez
- Mario Fernandez 5-4 Vincent Muldoon
HIGH BREAK BOARD
- DAVID CASSIDY 87, 70
- JASON DEVANEY 62, 50
- AARON TOBIN 80
- JOE CORIGAN 52,68,74,78,98
- GREG CASEY 90, 60
- TJ DOWLING 88, 94
- VINCENT MULDOON 83, 86, 65, 52, 59,135
- RAY POWER 69
- ROBERT REDMOND 82,75, 54, 65
- MARIO FERNANDEZ 53, 73, 114
- RODNEY GOGGINS 137