In the ‘Munster Close’ snooker championship held in Limerick at the ‘New Vic’ snooker club Cork’s Greg Casey proved unbeatable recording a fantastic victory defeating Gary Bracken in the final by four frames to two frames, but the story of the tournament was Casey’s victory over Limerick’s John Torpey in the semi final.
Torpey a former challenge tour player was 50 points ahead in the fourth frame and three frames up, with just 51 on the table when somehow Casey managed to win the fourth frame and the next three frames to win 4- 3 which was an incredible come back for the Crucible man.
The win was a terrific scalp for the Cork man winning a very famous cup that has been in existence since the 1930’s and will be treasured in the Casey home. Casey told Cork snooker “When I was nearly out of the competition in the semi final I was hoping for just one chance and thankfully I got that chance to get back into the match and from there on it was 110% concentration.
Snooker is all about momentum and when I won that fourth frame I had the momentum going into the final frames, naturally I was delighted to win those and progress through to the final and to eventually win the tournament was brilliant and I am thrilled to have won”.
Casey is flying high in the senior rankings and has shown he is quite capable of going all the way this year and most importantly for Cork Snooker he has sent a message out to everyone ahead of the Munster club snooker championships which gets under way in the Gleneagle Hotel in just ten days time.
- Last 32
- Brendan O’Donoghue v Bye
- Ryan Cronin 3-1 Kevin McMahon
- Gary Bracken 3-1 Frank Sarsfield
- Tom O’Driscoll w/o David Cassidy
- Niel Madigan 3-0 Ray Scullion
- Timmy Murphy 3-0 Arthur Greer
- Darren Mirza 3-0 David Reece
- Mark Tuite 3-0 Pat O’Rourke
- Greg Casey 3-1 Richie Flynn
- Leonard Shanahan 3-2 Kevin O’Leary
- Philip Burke 3-1 Ray Power
- Daniel O’Regan 3-1 David Forde
- Kieran McGuire w/o Michael Walsh
- Paddy Murphy w/o Llyod Myers
- Trevor Hayes 3-2 John Hayes
- John Torpey v Bye
- Last 16
- Brendan O’Donoghue 2-3 Ryan Cronin
- Gary Bracken 3-1 Tom O’Driscoll
- Niel Madigan 3-0 Timmy Murphy
- Darren Mirza 2-3 Mark Tuite
- Leonard Shanahan 2-3 Greg Casey
- Philip Burke 3-2 Daniel O’Regan
- Kieran McGuire 1-3 Paddy Murphy
- Trevor Hayes 0-3 John Torpey
- Quarter Finals
- Ryan Cronin 1-3 Gary Bracken
- Neil Madigan 1-3 Mark Tuite
- Greg Casey 3-2 Philip Burke
- Paddy Murphy 0-3 John Torpey
- Semi Finals
- Gary Bracken 4-2 Mark Tuite
- Greg Casey 4-3 John Torpey
- Gary Bracken 2-4 Greg Casey